Monday, March 3, 2014

King Cake Cupcakes

So it's the Mardi Gras time of year. We always have king cake multiple times per year it seems. My grandma brought one up in January, but I thought Mardi Gras would be an appropriate time to make my own. And obviously it had to be in cupcake form! Since we had an ice day (the Arkansas equivalent of a snow day) and I was stuck at home, I literally lived in sweatpants and baked all day. These king cakes are easy to make and only took all day because I've been exceptionally lazy. And I've just gotten word that tomorrow is another ice day. Yay.

Crescent rolls and cream cheese play a starring role in several of my most popular non-cupcake desserts. These cupcakes are really no different. Crescent rolls with cinnamon sugar and cinnamon cream cheese filling. And in trying this experiment I just realized that crescent rolls only have 8 rolls per can...

Cupcakes:
2 cans of crescent rolls
cinnamon and sugar for dusting

Filling:
1 package cream cheese (8 oz)
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Icing:
1 cup powdered sugar
1-2 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

To prepare the filling mix room temperature cream cheese with brown sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. I laid out the crescent rolls and sprinkled them with cinnamon sugar. I always keep some cinnamon sugar on hand because it is good for so many things. I simply pour some granulated sugar in a bowl and add a small amount of cinnamon and shake it up. I dropped a spoonful of filling on the larger end of each triangle and wrapped the small end over the filling. I tried to seal the bottom as best I could because I didn't want all the goodness to leak out. It really doesn't matter how you wrap them, just get them in a cupcake liner. I baked them at 350 for probably about 15 minutes. I'm terrible at timing things because I never look at the time when I put them in :)

Cinnamon sugar dusted crescent rolls

Into the oven they go
I mixed up the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla and spooned the icing over the top of the cupcakes. I sprinkled the wet icing with colored sugar. Which, in case you didn't know, is ridiculously hard to get enough sugar to make pretty colors. I hid the babies in several of the cupcakes. I just have to make sure everybody knows to look for them!
How many babies can you see?
These cupcakes would make a good alternative to cinnamon rolls any time of year. And you could play around with the flavors for different tastes and occasions.

Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment