Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Mississippi Mud Cupcakes

Mississippi- one of those words I still can't spell and one of those states we all love to hate on :) But with something as delicious as this being named after it, the state can't really be all that bad. After all, what does Arkansas have named after it? *googling* Nope, can't find anything. We need to get on that!

I was trying to come up with something yummy, easy, and fun. Something that I haven't tried yet. K.C. suggested Mississippi mud cake. He rarely even eats cupcakes so I was a little surprised when he made a suggestion. I did tell him that this means he HAS to eat one!



As always, I started with a box mix, Betty Crocker's Chocolate Fudge cake this time.

Cake:
1 box chocolate cake mix
4 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/4-1/2 cup pecan pieces
1/4-1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

I filled the cupcake tins and baked at 325 F for about 25 min. When finished I pressed mini marshmallows into the tops of the cupcakes. I placed the pans back in the oven and turned it off. The marshmallows melted some but didn't burn or melt completely.



Frosting:
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup melted semi-sweet chocolate chips
powdered sugar

Mix the milk, butter, vanilla, cocoa, and 1 cup of powdered sugar. Stir in melted chocolate and continue adding powdered sugar until the frosting reaches a pudding-like consistency. This frosting doesn't stand up well for piping so just plop a spoonful on top. Trust me, you won't care what they look like.

Pretty sure these are the best cupcakes I have EVER tasted. If you don't make anything else, you need to make these! You can thank me later :)


No comments:

Post a Comment