Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Chocolate Red Wine Cupcakes

I've got big plans this weekend! I'm going to the 1st Annual Chuckwagon Races at the Rockin' L Arena in Lacey, AR. I've got a couple people going with me and we'll be hanging out with the family so I'm sure we'll have a big time. And you know I had to make some cupcakes to take with me.

I pinned a red wine cupcake on pinterest a while back. My friend Casey offered these as a choice for cupcakes for this weekend. I'll be honest, I was a little iffy on them. But I decided to give it a shot.



I started with a basic chocolate cake mix. I actually only prepared half the batter. I mixed up half the cake mix, by basically halving the ingredients on the box. Well except the wine. That's definitely not on the box :)

Cake:
1/2 chocolate cake mix
1 egg
1.5 oz vegetable oil
4 oz Cabernet 

I mixed it all up and poured it into 12 lined cupcake wells. It came out perfect for 12 cupcakes. Double this if you're making the whole cake mix. (Comes out to 2 eggs, 1/3 cup oil, 1 cup Cabernet)

As for the Cabernet, I'm not even going to pretend to know anything about wine. I just went to the liquor store and asked the guy for a little bottle of Cabernet. He suggested a box wine, and it was pretty cheap, so I went with it.

Frosting:
3 oz white chocolate chips, melted
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 cup Cabernet- more or less to taste
about 5 cups powdered sugar

Cream shortening and butter. Add vanilla and 1 cup powdered sugar. Pour in melted chocolate. Add an additional cup of powdered sugar. Mix in the wine and continue adding powdered sugar until frosting reaches the desired consistency. It was a rather boring shade of pink, so I added pink gel food coloring to brighten it up a bit.



If you decide to try these, let me know what you think in the comments :)

Happy Baking :)


No comments:

Post a Comment