Monday, June 23, 2014

Cherry Mash Cupcakes

Guys, I'm obviously the worst blogger ever. It's been a crazy couple weeks..ER visits, shigellosis (love that the wiki page for that says not to be confused with shingles. Trust me, no confusion there). Oh and bugs. Bedbugs to be exact. So yeah...the worst part is this post was all ready to go and I couldn't even click one button to make it live. Forgive me?

Anyway, on to more appropriate topics. My mom and my sister both love the cherry mash candy. I'm talking they put one in the fridge and anybody who values their life won't touch it. I like them too, but I never get to have any :( Nah, I'm joking. Mom buys them for me too. It may be that cherry mash just isn't that popular of a candy (outside of my family) but I've never seen them featured in any recipe. So here we go!


For the cake:
1 box chocolate cake mix, prepared per box directions (sub milk for water)
1 drop of cherry flavoring oil
      Seriously, this stuff is strong and you don't want too much!

For the cherry mash fudge filling:
1 cup cherry chips
1/2 cup marshmallow cream
1/2 can sweetened condensed milk

Melt the cherry chips in the microwave. I found that they didn't melt well until I added the sweetened condensed milk. Stir in the marshmallow cream. This will stay un-set at room temp. I suggest letting your cupcakes cool *completely* before filling them. I did not and most of my filling melted into the cupcake. Core your cupcakes and add the filling. Save about 1/2 cup to start your frosting.

For the frosting:
fudge filling from above
1 cup shortening
1-2 tbsp milk
1 drop cherry flavoring oil
1 cherry mash candy, melted
powdered sugar

Mix the first 4 ingredients then add the melted cherry mash. Add powdered sugar until you reach the desired consistency/flavor.
                             source: Wikipedia
I stupidly forgot my frosting gun but I had tips so I decided to use a ziplock bag for a frosting bag. That worked well for 1.5 cupcakes before the bag split down the side :( So here is my one prettily frosted one.
-Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment