Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Graduation Cupcakes

Yesterday was my first day of my last year of school EVER! So it was a pretty exciting day. But it also means that I won't be able to do a lot of cupcake baking, especially over the next two months since I'm living in hotels for the time being. I've got a couple things to post about during that time, but I need you guys to tell me what you want to see. I've got a stovetop and a microwave, so it's going to take some creativity :)

For today's post though, I've got some cupcakes I made for my little brother's graduation a couple weeks ago. Congratulations Eddie!


He wanted sour cupcakes, like the sour patch kids type candy. I went with a white cake and totally cheated and bought pre-made, colored buttercream. I did make my own sour sugar (does that even make sense?) with citric acid and colored sugar. I also colored my own sugar, because I didn't feel like driving to Hobby Lobby. Plus, money. So my process on this- Pour 1/2 cup sugar in a ziplock bag. Add some red food coloring. Shake it up. Add 1-2 tsp citric acid. Shake it up. I just tasted and added until it was sour enough. It doesn't take much!

This was probably the most basic cupcake I've made in a while. I focused more on decoration for this one. I used a white cake mix, prepared per box instructions (sub milk for water). And as I mentioned I bought the frosting.

I found a neat decorating bag set a while back and decided this would be the perfect time to use it. Each bag has a divider in the center so you can do two colors simultaneously. Since our high school's colors are red and white the contrast worked well for the frosting.


I also used some sour candy pieces on top of some of the cupcakes.

I hope you guys will give me some ideas of what you'd like to see while I'm not able to bake.

-Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment