Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Nuts & Bolts & Cupcakes

Wow guys, I really suck at this. Sorry I haven't posted in basically a year (1 month, 5 days to be exact). So to get you up to speed- I've been in South Dakota for the month doing a rotation with Indian Health Services in Ft. Thompson. I absolutely loved it! But I am 15 hours from home and I've really missed KC. But today is the last day here then I'm heading home! So it'll take me a couple days but still. In honor of finally seeing KC again here are some cupcakes I made for him ages ago.


When I came across the nuts and bolts candy mold on amazon I knew I had to have it. KC works for Fastenal so nuts and bolts are his daily life. When doing these cupcakes, I tried to stick with Fastenal's colors as well as I could and still make them in KC's favorite flavor, mint chocolate.

First for the nuts, bolts, and letters I melted white chocolate melts with a little bit of black chocolate melts to get a light gray color. I painted the inside of the molds with the gray chocolate. It looked best with two coats of chocolate. After letting that set I filled the molds the rest of the way with milk chocolate. Once the chocolates were completely set, I painted them with pearl dust. To do this I mixed a few drops of vodka with the pearl dust to get a paint consistency then painted it onto the chocolate. Don't worry, the vodka evaporates! (I think)


The cupcakes-
Pretty boring this time chocolate cake mix, couple drops of mint flavoring. End of story.

The filling-
1 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup marshmallow cream
1/2 can sweetened condensed milk
creme de menthe flavoring oil to taste

Melt chocolate chips and mix with marshmallow cream and condensed milk. Add creme de menthe oil as desired. After the cupcakes cool completely, core them and spoon in this filling. Save about 1/2 cup for the frosting.

The frosting-
remaining filling
1/2 cup shortening
1-2 tbsp milk
creme de menthe flavoring oil to taste
powdered sugar

Mix it all up to the desired consistency and frost those babies!
-Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment